History

History

Etrop Grange was known as Moss House but was locally known as Moss’s Folly by the older residents of the area. A schoolteacher called William Moss originally built the House or his wife in 1780.

The History Of Etrop Grange

Since being built, the surrounding area has significantly changed, from fine gardens, to a private residence, and now to an elegant 4 Star Grade II, Georgian Hotel within half a mile of Manchester International Airport.

A coach House known as White Lodge was added in1812 and later a coachman’s living quarters were built.

Moss House remained a private residence, although during the Second World War it was requisitioned by the RAF based at nearby Ringway Airport, now Manchester International Airport.  During the late 19th century it was used as a Sunday school.

In 1958 a Mrs Morley, purchased the house and lived in there for the next 26 years.  She let the two top floors to airhostesses from Manchester Airport where it developed something of a notorious reputation for the parties, which were held up there.  The top floor was once servant’s quarters, and an extension to the original building was built in the Victorian era.  In 1984 John and Sue Roebuck bought the house from Mrs Morley and lived on the top floor.   They renamed their home Etrop Grange after a local area called Etrop Green – now the car park between Etrop Grange and Terminal 2.

Mr & Mrs Roebuck opened the lower level of Etrop Grange as a restaurant on the 13th November 1985.  During the summer, after sympathetic restoration the first three bedrooms were ready to receive guests. The White Lodge Extension (now rooms 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22) opened in September 1991 and the Coach House opened in November 1991. The hotel was commended this year by the North West Tourist Board following the £3m refurbishment, bringing the hotel up to 26 bedrooms.

The final 26 new bedrooms were opened in 1998, (now 64 bedrooms).  1998 was a very successful year for the hotel as it won the Silver Medal English Tourist Board Hotel of the Year. The hotels civil wedding license was also obtained in this year.

In July 2013 Squire Hotels bought Etrop Grange and started to give the hotel a refurbishment as well as amassing a new portfolio of hotels.

Contact Us

  • ETROP
  • Etrop Grange Hotel
  • Thorley Lane, Manchester Airport
  • Cheshire
  • M90 4EG
  • 0161 499 0500
  • Reserve your room